Sunday, September 2, 2007

The "gloves" come off!!

You know that a crisis is supposed to bring out the "best" in people. NOT in my family. Instead, the gloves come off and we just can't seem to rise to the occasion. Our horns sprout from our heads and the fangs drop down from our mouth and our TRUE side emerges.
My mother is in late stage cancer. I have 3 sisters. One lives 3 hours' drive away. One lives 35 minutes' drive away, as do I. And, the third one lives 2 doors down. You might imagine who just can't be bothered.
I must admit that growing up, we did not have a perfect childhood. It wasn't one of those 'television style' homes. But my mother took good care of us and we never starved, and we went to bed clean each night. I think that because as we've always heard about how the roles change and reverse, the child becomes the parent and vice versa. IT IS SO TRUE!!!
I've been seeing a therapist for some time now in order to deal with the impending loss of my mother. If I hadn't, I am certain I would have jumped off of a VERY tall building before now. More tomorrow.......I'm so exhausted, my eyes are crossing!

No comments: